Running In Place

What was to have been a chronicle of my first running steps has now become a chronicle of my first running injury, and finding my way back to the beginning.

Thursday, April 29, 2004

Lament (or perhaps, whine)...

Today was tough physically and mentally, and that surprised me so I am left feeling a bit deflated. I suspect that when I shake it all down the culprit will be my own poor planning.

First of all, the weather could not have been more ideal if I had ordered it up specially for me. It was sunny, mid-80's, slight breeze, not humid (which it tends to get around here, and which I have a hard time tolerating). *side note: this beautiful, and unusual, weather following an impressive hail storm this AM.* Anyway, all afternoon I was thinking about how great it was gonna be to get out on the trail and even put aside some paperwork unfinished so I could leave work a few minutes early. Once I got out there I did my usual walk for 5 or 6 minutes then stretch. Almost as soon as I started jogging I just felt so tired and I began breathing hard after not too long at all. I really struggled through my first 3 reps, just waiting for me to really get warm, or hit my stride, or scrape up some endorphins, or somethin'. Following the 3rd run/walk rep I had to walk for 2 minutes rather than 1 before I could run again, and had to do that again after #'s 4 & 5 too. On my 6th rep of running I only lasted 2 minutes, then had to walk the rest of the way out, and it took me quite awhile, a bottle of water, and orange, and a tootsie pop to feel anything more than overall crappy. The whole time I kept thinking, "hey! I'm supposed to be getting stronger with time and practice, not weaker!!" Thankfully, what I do not suffer from are any aches or pains, which surprises me as my hips were always old and crabby before I started running, but not since.

What went wrong...

Ok, in truth, as disappointed as I feel, my common sense tells me that I am not getting weaker and I am not a big wuss. In really trying to analyze what went off track today, here are my thoughts on some of the possibilities:

1. The weather - as beautiful as it was, it was a good 30+ degrees warmer than what I'm used to running in. Even though I was not overdressed, I was hotter alot faster (though it took me awhile to really start sweating, as much as I was struggling), and I was also dry alot faster - which leads me to...

2. Hydration - I didn't think of it till after but I did not drink as much water during the day today as I usually do because I had a soda at lunch. I make sure to drink before and after the run but up to this point I have never really had the need to carry water with me - today I really really needed it and it was so miserable that I will not make that mistake again. My saliva was so thick it was gagging.

3. Pre-Run Snack - I usually have a piece of fruit or a granola/energy/Special K bar shortly before the run and today I had a salad at lunch then a cup of popcorn about 1/2 hour before going out. I only ate the popcorn because someone handed it to me, but it was enough to make me forget about the granola bar, though not enough to give me energy to sustain the running.

4. Need a Rest Day - I have either run or worked out at Curves every day since Sunday. For many this probably isn't a big effort but for me this is only the 2nd week that I have made a sustained effort at routine exercise, rather than sporadic episodes. It certainly feel like I should take a rest day sooner than Sunday, as I had planned. I will probably go to Curves tomorrow as usual as I will not have an opportunity on Saturday if I take tomorrow off, but I think I will wait for Sunday to run again. I also think I will spend Sunday continuing the 4:1 running/walking as based on today, jumping to 5:1 might be a little premature. I'll reevaluate then.

To Make a Long Story Longer...

Analysis complete - I am going to work hard to not let this be a discouraging experience, but an educational one. I am not going to blame my body and just accept that some days are not going to be prizewinners. I am not going to expect more than is reasonable and then quit in disappointment. I am going to crack open a cold Bud Light!

Ending On An Up Note...

You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm. ~ Collette