Running In Place

What was to have been a chronicle of my first running steps has now become a chronicle of my first running injury, and finding my way back to the beginning.

Monday, July 26, 2004

This appears to be cool…

It turns out that at the end of September I will be going to Ireland for several days. Evidently, one of the things it may promise to be while I’m there is wet – so I have been shopping around for waterproof/resistant stuff. One of the things it seemed to make sense to have was some non-cotton socks as I expect to be doing a lot of walking/hiking. At 12 bucks a pop, the prospect of buying several pairs of Coolmax socks seemed pretty daunting so I checked out the ol’ ebay and here's what I found . I got 8 pairs of Coolmax socks for $14.99 ($22.99 with S/H and insurance)! Even if they’re seconds, unless they’re completely deformed, I think I made out. Hell, if 2 of the pairs were useable I would have gotten my money’s worth. So I was pleased. Once I actually get them I will report further on their quality.

Thinking, always thinking, about the future…

While shopping yesterday, I went to an outdoor shopping center and made it a point to park at the far side of one end and walk to the other and back for my excursions. Not a huge parking lot, maybe a half mile by the time I walked to one end and back (leisurely, not briskly). The outcome? Some soreness, but not too bad. The upshot? Let’s walk!

I’ve been looking around on the internet, specifically for a post-injury training schedule. I did find this , which had some useful information but seemed like way too much for me right now (or in the near future). I was only running about 10 minutes before I got injured and this schedule suggests 5 minutes right off the bat – for me it sounds like too much, too soon. The schedule that I was originally using (before I got froggy and jumped ahead), from Prevention magazine, is unsurprisingly conservative and probably about right for me. Pfitzinger’s statement that it can take 90 days or more to heal a stress fracture completely was very comforting to me as the standard 6 – 8 weeks that I always read about has passed and I know I’m not completely healed as yet. It was good to hear that healing can take longer as I was starting to get paranoid that I would never be really be done with this.

Public commitment = public shame…
Tomorrow I will do something. I will move. (I’d do it now but it’s bedtime).

Just ONE moment to be sentimental...

Who, but the RBF, would be so supportive when an absoulute beginner started blogging about running 2 minutes straight? Who, but the RBF, would offer advice at every request, and praise every little step forward? Who but the RBF would patiently listen to me whine, lament, and make excuses - and continue to give me endless encouragement and hopefulness? If I was involved in a running club, or had friends who run (or even understand why I would run), it might be different, and I might have had alternative sources of support. But that is not the case at this time and that is why I am so tremendously, amazingly grateful to have stumbled in. The universe is good.