Running In Place

What was to have been a chronicle of my first running steps has now become a chronicle of my first running injury, and finding my way back to the beginning.

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I'm moving...

Figuratively and literally.

After a recent blogger lament, Mark so very kindly decorated a room for me at Complete Running . From now on, I will be blogging at Running in Place . Tune in there for more of my madcap adventures.

Yes, so I am walking - and it is good, it is so good, I can't tell you how good it is. I have been able to walk for 30-40 minutes at a time, mostly at a brisk pace (excluding some warm up and cool down time). I do some stretches after and my muscles are really tight and inflexible, but that will pass. The real news is that the pain is so not an issue - there is a vague soreness in my ankle at first, and really so vague that I don't know if I would call it soreness so much as awareness. I was so entrenched in the idea that the pain would never go away that this is like some gift from the sky. Sure, everyone else knew I was being a drama queen :) I guess the real story is, and this comes as no surprise to anyone who has been through any adverse situation, it sucks like hell but then you pick up some perspective, you pick up some knowledge, and you pick up some gratitude. So that's all good - I'm kinda glad for that.

The plan, man...

I have been walking and I plan to do that 4 days a week for the next 2 weeks. I have returned to the gym and am doing a circuit 2 days a week which I'll just keep on doing. After the 2 weeks of walking, I don't have a specific program but there are a million beginner run 1 minute walk 4, run 2 minutes walk 3, etc. plans that I can choose from. I'll cruise around my books, magazines, and web sites and see what sounds right - and by right I mean nice and slow. And I'm ok with that right now, I know what rushing got me. But I'll definately be doing some running by the time I get to Ireland so that will be super super cool!

Seriously rethinking my sneakers...

When I first began running I was wearing my old New Balance cross trainers (which I never wore for crosstraining, I wore them for my part time waitressing job). When I decided I was really going to run, I thought I'd better look into some shoes. I have always thought I had a high arch, though not high enough to require special shoes under normal circumstances, but when I did the wet-foot-on-newspaper test I had the textbook high-arch print. When I went to the sneaker store, the one with the treadmill and the "experts," my feet were glanced at and I was told my arch "wasn't that bad." So I got shown a bunch of neutral shoes and they all felt fine walking around the store, and I didn't know any better at the time, so I got a pair of Nike Pegasus. They are very comfortable on my feet but in running, I alway had the sensation that my foot was being pushed inward during my stride, and I would try to compensate by forcing my outer foot more outward - in other words, trying to compensate my gait. When I started walking again recently, I went out and got some Dr. Scholl's arch supports. They definately help correct that inward motion but they elevate my heel too high so that it does not rest snuggly, resulting in a most unpleasant blister at my right achilles (most high kudos to Band-Aid's bliter bandages!!). So shitcan the arch supports.

Anyway, to make a long story longer - I need new sneaks, I need to be a more aware and informed running shoe consumer, and I need to do it prior to re-starting my running in (hopefully) about a week and a half. Any input from any suppinators would be highly valued.

Just to review...

From now on, you're welcome to come here to stroll down memory lane with me, but for the latest and greatest please come to



http://completerunning.com/running-in-place/